Monday 7 September 2015

Fictional Food Adventure: Making Marilla's Zero Alcohol Raspberry Cordial from Anne of Green Gables by L.M.Montgomery.

Raspberries are so delicious that I don't believe in messing about with them. But when eating them, I always like to mash them up with a bit of sugar. I think it makes them easier to taste. So making cordial out of thoroughly mashed and pulped rasberries is just an extreme taste extravaganza. I can tell you, it's the most raspberry thing ever. 

I've loved Anne of Green Gables all my life, and I always found the raspberry cordial moment hilarious, despite the heartache it causes Anne. Poor, innocent Anne makes a dreadful mistake in offering her bosom friend, Diana, Marilla's currant wine, by the tumblerful, instead of the intended non-alcoholic raspberry cordial. She unintentionally sets Diana very drunk and it all ends in tears. The liquid itself always looked so enticing, as well as sounding tempting as it tinkles into the glass. 

Now that I know how delicious, and how simple it is to make, I think it will have to be an annual treat to celebrate summer. Rasberries aren't cheap, but they are worth the expense. All it takes is a pile of the soft red fruit, some sugar, water, a saucepan, a sieve and a bottle. 

And when it's fresh from the fridge on a hot day, it's a bit of paradise. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment