Sunday 22 March 2015

Fictional Food Adventure: Reading The Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I'm so glad I set myself this challenge. I'm relishing the discoveries of all these books that I would otherwise have dismissed forever, or taken another decade to bother reading. I do make a lot of assumptions about books and despite how much I love to read, my time to do so is limited so I would only embark on books that I had chosen carefully. Now I am much more open to just getting on with a book. 

The Little House books were on the shelves in our home as I grew up but I never once opened them. Despite knowing how much my brother and Mum loved them, they just didn't grab my attention. I kind of wished I loved them too but something told me I would find them boring. The truth is, I'm sure I would have loved them, as I now know having read the first in the series, The Little House in the Big Woods. 


Laura Ingalls Wilder describes, in great detail, the many experiences, big and small, that make up the home life of her childhood.  With Pa and his big gun, and Ma's gentle homely ways. With Laura and her older sister Mary, and baby sister Carrie seeing life through their young eyes. And their cosy cosy log cabin deep in the woods. With baking and homemade entertainment, stories told round the fire, songs shared together, meals relished, provisions gathered and preserved carefully. With the seasons flowing ever into one another, bringing their own unique treats and hardships.

Little-House-in-the-Big-Woods-Puffin-Books-By-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder-Garth-Wil
I know now that the Little House books are going to be a part of my life. I'm glad that the next Little House book is part of the FFA list, but even if it wasn't I'd be adding it to my shelves, along with all the rest. To be opened often, and loved, by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment